When we moved to Washington (nearly two-and-a-half years ago now) we were told that it doesn't snow very much, and people get funny when it does. That was an understatement. It does snow here, or at least it has every winter that I've been here, at least a little bit. When this happens people don't just get funny, they get down right crazy.
Since moving here, I've had church canceled for the first time in my life and have seen numerous (almost too high to count) school closures over weather related issues (ie: snow, or the threat of snow). Don't even get me started on the drivers, or the road (non)cleaning crews. That is a rant for another day.
Now, I am no stranger to snow, I've spent most of my life around a lot of snow. The first snow day I ever got was my freshman year in college. We got 27inches overnight on a Sunday night, and they only canceled school because it was a Sunday, and the plows weren't working that night. Needless to say, I'm having a hard time mustering sympathy for those people who freak out when we get a "snow" storm.
Anyway, long introduction to my rather short post aside, Saturday night/Sunday we got our first "Snow storm" of the season (I think it dropped less than an inch total). Usually the snow here is nasty slushy wet stuff that isn't good to play in; on this occasion however, our skiff of snow was a rather decent consistency. Since the snow was still around Sunday afternoon after church, we bundled the boys up and let them go play in it.
It was Beefy's first real experience with snow, and only Buggy's second or third probably. As I was getting them bundled up I couldn't help but have the image of Ralphie's brother from A Christmas Story run through my head. (You know, the kid who is sobbing and screaming, "I can't move my arms".) Beefy had on sweats, a snowsuit, a snow coat, mittens scarf and hat. There wasn't much room to put any more on him. I got a good laugh out of it anyway.
3 comments:
I love the pictures! We got quite a bit more up here, but being from Seattle, it's true. With just a dusting everyone stays home or panics. I myself don't drive in it, but at least i'm not a crazy person on the road. This post totally made me laugh!
Glad I finally found your blog! I'm with you about the snow--Seattle drivers are scary when it snows, so I stay home. I love that they cancelled school today and it didn't even snow until 5:00 PM! Oi.
Such fun pictures! I'm in Arizona right now, getting ready to leave for SLC in the morning. I'm not really looking forward to leaving the wonderfully warm weather for the snow.
Post a Comment