Hooray! Today I had my last follow-up doctor appointment. (If you are confused see the previous post entitled "The Elephant in the Room") Since my surgery I have gone back to the Perinatalogist a few times for multiple blood tests to rule things out and to try and find a cause for the death of the baby. We haven't found a cause, and probably never will, but we have ruled out enough things that I don't have to go back anymore. Now, I am just waiting on the results of one final blood test before I can get the "go-ahead" to try again.
I've got to say, I am so ready to be done with this series of appointments and tests. It has been a hassle (arranging for babysitting, actually driving down to the hospital, waiting to talk to the Dr., etc.) and surprisingly hard emotionally. I get to where I am doing okay, and then have to go in and be interrogated about how I am coping, and if I have good support networks, and if I have seen a grief counselor, and all of this. I make it through the appointments okay, but when it is over, I am surprisingly drained just having to think about all of it again.
The Dr.'s office has been very good about keeping me away from the pregnant women while I am there (that is, after all, what most women are there for). I always get taken back right away to my own private room. Even though it is kind of boring having to wait by myself in a quiet room, I do have to commend them for their thoughtfulness.
Although this experience will always be a big part of me and who I am, all in all it is a huge relief to have this over. It will be very nice to let my life take that last step in getting back to normal.
3 comments:
I'm sorry that you had to go through all of that! It'll be great that you can move on now... by the way, I don't know if we're on the way to your doctor or not, but you can use us for babysitting anytime, no charge, okay?
Take care of yourself!
Hey Kim. I found your blog through Leanne's. We were all in the same ward many moons ago. Anyway, just want you to know that you're not alone. We lost our baby at 27 weeks. I realize no one can complete get your specific situation, but it was a comfort to me knowing I wasn't the only one. good luck with everything.
katie wilson
that is nice that you're done with all that. I cannot imagine what you've been going through all this time. I'm sorry.
Post a Comment