I hope I got that right, it's been a while since I've been in school and I'm kind of rusty on my laws of physics. Also, this is a really long post. Feel free to skip to the end if you get bored, I won't be offended.
Anyway, the last few days with the boys have been fantastic. They've listened to me, they've done their chores, and the whining has even been to a bare minimum. They've helped each other out and played together too. It was bliss.
Yesterday was Beefy's "follow up" day at Children's Hospital. I was pretty nervous about it because it was going to be a really long day of appointments (starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 2:00 p.m.), and he would have to get up early, and perform and be out of his routine, etc. The weather was also horrible and it took me an hour to make what is normally a 30-35 minute drive. Needless to say, he was amazing. He did everything that all of the doctors and therapists asked him, he behaved well in the waiting room (we unfortunately had a lot of waiting), and overall it was just a much better day than I had anticipated.
All of the waiting was a good thing really, because it meant that all of our appointments were short. Everyone was really surprised (and kind of amazed) at how well he was doing, and all of our hour long sessions turned into 15 minute sessions. Unfortunately the schedule was booked to the point that nobody could get us in any earlier, therefore cutting our day short.
Buggy, not to be outdone - got up happily, even though I had to wake him up almost an hour and a half early. He kept making tons of cute comments and saying lots of I love you's, helping his brother out (and not doing his usual antagonizing) and other such things that make being a mom a little brighter.
All of this coming together, culminating in a great evening last night playing games together, having pizza and everyone being generally really happy. I even started having thoughts (most likely hormone induced) about how my power struggles with my kids were over, and life was going to be this wonderful fantasy from here on out.
Everyone went to bed well, and I even got to go to bed early, which never happens. This is where the "equal and opposite reaction" part comes in. This has happened with Beefy a few times before, but never to this extent.
So, about 1:15 Buggy comes wandering into my room, a little dazed and confused. This is no big deal, it happens. I just have to walk him back to his room, make sure he doesn't need the potty and tuck him into bed. He is out again within seconds, and I am out of bed for 5 minutes - tops (and that is only if I have to take a potty break too - which I do frequently of late). So there I am, just getting back in bed when in comes Beefy - ready for the day - at 1:20 in the morning. His nighttime dilemmas are not quite as easily solved but still not horrible. Usually I can rock him for a few minutes, get him a drink and lay him back in bed (15-30 minutes roughly). Not last night.
After about 5 rounds of rocking, back to bed, him coming back in, rocking, back to bed, etc. I was starting to loose it. My husband got up with him once, and thought that he had him down, but not 10 minutes later, in he comes again. At this point he has lost the privilege of rocking, and is getting unceremoniously put back in bed, with a very firm "STAY!!" and "GO TO SLEEP!", to which he is replying "NO!" and promptly following me out of the room again. I won't bore you will all the gory details that ended with both of the boys being awake, and me laying on the floor in their room telling them to be quiet and lay down every thirty seconds.
Eventually (3 hours later, 4:20 a.m) I finally get to lay down in my bed for some sleep - that is until 5:30 when my husband's alarm goes off. I try to sleep on and off until 6:10 when he is finally out the door and I can go back to sleep until 8 or so (or so I think) when one of the kids usually gets up. No such luck today. They were both up at 7:15 a.m. after at least 1 of them being up for 3 hours during the night.
So, today I have two very crabby little boys, and one mommy who (by the doing of the aforementioned little boys) is also very, very crabby. Of course, everything with Beefy has been a battle of massive proportions, and Buggy is back on his whine-cycle. I am refusing to let Beefy have any semblance of a nap for fear of a repeat performance tonight, which isn't helping - I know. But, I am at a loss. We haven't dealt with a mobile toddler who doesn't think he needs to sleep in the middle of the night. Buggy was the kid who gave us grief about going to bed. Once he was out - he stayed out.
Don't get me wrong, I still love my kids, and I know that at some point in the undefined future things will get better. I just should have known that the last few days were too good to be true. Oh, well. It was nice while it lasted.
No comments:
Post a Comment