October 26, 2008

Never Undrestimate Modern Technology

So, my story begins on Thursday night. I had already gotten two days of use out of my 1 pair of maternity jeans, and while the boys were in the bathtub, I decided to throw some clothes (including my jeans) in the wash. This is about the only multitasking I can achieve during bath time, because the laundry room is right next to the kid bathroom at my house.

I firmly believe that the blame for this event can be placed on the fact that I have only 1 pair of maternity jeans, and therefore, have to wash more frequently that I otherwise would, causing me to be distracted and more rushed. Anyway, long story short, I took off the jeans and washed them, then went to put them in the dryer when lo and behold, I found my cell phone...in the washing machine. Oops. The phone was in my pocket when I took my jeans off, and it didn't get missed in the 53 minutes that they were in the washing machine.

I have to add a little background info here. We only have cell phones at my house. We used to have a home phone (land line) that would ring once a week (usually a telemarketer) so we decided to ditch the land line save $30 a month and just go with our cell phones (one for me and one for my husband).

I am a firm believer in freebie phones, so my husband has always had the nicer phone while I got the $9.99 or less special. A couple of months ago, our phone company was doing a promotion where we could both get new slider phones (very cool, and way fancier than anything I'd ever had). So we got two new phones. I really liked the upgrade from my freebie, and even though my husband's old phone wasn't really that old, he liked his new one too. (I think its cause they are colorful - red, and blue as opposed to black and gray)

And now back to my story. So, to top off an already rough day, I now had no phone. I was pretty sure my new pretty red phone was toast at this point. My sweet kind of geeky (i.e. loves to pull stuff apart and play with it) husband pulled apart the phone and laid it out to dry, then left me with his phone on Friday morning to get me by until I could activate his old phone (thank goodness we hadn't gotten rid of them yet) with my number.

Here is the kicker to my really long, so far kind of pointless story. This morning as we were getting ready for church my husband picked up my waterlogged phone and said that he thought it might be dry now. He then proceeded to put it back together and, unbelievably it turned on. I am still kind of shocked, but we charged the battery and it didn't fry it. All of my numbers and pictures are still in tact, even though my screen is less clear than it used to be. This afternoon, I got online and activated my number back to that phone and it works! I am amazed that a phone that went through a whole wash cycle would still work. Thus the meaning of my title: never underestimate modern technology!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

That is absolutely amazing! I'm glad that phone was ok!

Leanne said...

wow. lucky one!

Julie said...

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I would take the opportunity to back up the info you have on your phone right now, and don't get rid of your husbands phone for a while.
Right after Guy was born, my phone fell in the bath tub. After it dried out it worked just fine, but before that happened, I had contacted my cell phone provider, and they told me water damage can be one of the trickiest problems, because you think it is all better, after it has dried, and then then suddenly it just dies to never work again.
Now hopefully this won't happen to you. But it wouldn't hurt to be prepared if it does. Just thought I'd share the warning.
Oh and I did get my phone replaced by the way. Before it died, I don't know if it would have or not by now.