March 3, 2009

6 Months


Wow, these next few posts are a little late in happening. For some reason my blogging effort has been minimal lately, and therefore things have been slipping through the cracks. Something I hope to be able to remedy soon (though I make no promises).

With that being said....It has now been 6 months since Beefy's accident. It seems unreal to me. Sometimes it seems like yesterday, and other times - a lifetime ago.

He is doing amazing. We haven't had need for any therapy or evaluations since November. He is meeting developmental criteria for his age perfectly, and other than a small residual scar on his cheek (that I sometimes think only I can see), you would never know anything happened to him.

Unfortunately - he also doesn't have any memory of the incident. That, coupled with the fact that he is slightly more daring than your average two-year-old, means that I must watch him constantly.

Windows are still a source of utmost fascination to him, and although upstairs windows no longer get opened around our house (or others when he is around), I have found him being drawn to the lower level windows and now face the dilemma of what to do about that. When you have no A/C, open windows are a must, at least some of the time. I have yet to find a cost-effective yet still safe solution to the window problem, but I am working on it, and will hopefully have an answer before summer hits, and it becomes unbearably warm in the boys bedroom.

It isn't just windows though, the kid is a climber, and I've really had to rethink about how everything in my home is placed. Thank goodness for wall anchors on large furniture.

I never new a kid could be so much trouble, but also so very sweet. He is very loving and has the biggest soft spot. He is always asking for hugs, and giving kisses and snuggles. His smile is clear full of mischief, and yet at the same time - you can't look at him for too long and still stay mad at him.

Occasionally I will unintentionally re-live the events from those horrible days when he was in the hospital, and we weren't sure what the lasting effects of his injuries would be. It will by far live in my memory as one of the most horrifying experiences of my life - and yet we have been so very blessed through it all.

I still have my son, and to sweeten the deal, he is perfectly whole and healthy. No parent could ask for more, and I am grateful every single day.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I'm so happy that everything did turn out alright. He really is a way cute kid:)