June 15, 2008
Happy Fathers Day
I am not a terribly open sentimental person, so if you are expecting a tribute to fathers that tugs at the heartstrings you will be sorely disappointed. My dad, my father-in-law, and my husband are all wonderful men, and wonderful fathers, and their righteous posterity is a fine tribute to them. With that said, I will proceed to write about today. I usually let my husband sleep in on Sundays. Today, being Fathers Day, was no exception. Plus I was feeling exceptionally nice, so I volunteered to make cookies for him to take to the Sunday School class he was teaching today. That is how I found myself in my kitchen making cookies at 8:30 this morning. I'm glad I was though. My cell phone often ends up in my purse, and therefore can't be heard from anywhere in the house but the kitchen. As I was making cookies it rang and thankfully I heard it. It was my older sister calling, which was kind of unusual for 8:30 on a Sunday. She was calling to tell me that my dad was in the hospital with a ruptured gallbladder, awaiting surgery. Now normally, I know that this is not a serious surgery, but almost 4 years ago (right after Buggy was born), he was unexpectedly hospitalized for a much more serious surgery, that has badly shaken both he and my mom ever since. After checking in with my Mom at the hospital to make sure all was still well, I went to tell my husband. As we got talking we made the decision to take an impromptu trip to be with the family. We are not going because of the surgery, it is just a good excuse to take a vacation, that I have needed for a while now. My husband has to work though, and it is a very long drive, so we are using some flight vouchers to bring my 16 year-old niece here, to drive with me and the boys, and to fly my husband there at the end of the week to drive back with us. I am really looking forward to it actually. I think I do better at fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants things, as opposed to planning and stressing forever about stuff. So be on the lookout for future posts about our crazy fun vacation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I hope your dad is alright. Good luck on the drive!
Keep us posted on how your dad is! How long is your "vacation" going to be? Call me today if you get a chance!
Post a Comment