June 8, 2008

The Sweetest Thing

My church assignment is to play the piano for primary (the children's group). The chorister that I work with recently had ankle surgery and was out for 2 months, and so I stepped in and filled in her position, as it is easier to find people to play the piano than it is to find people who will lead singing for 7 weeks in a row. Anyway, she is a very vibrant and energetic person who loves being around the kids and always makes them excited to sing. I am by nature a rather shy reserved person, and although I know how to lead music, my last teaching job was with teenagers and they are a different can of beans than kids aged 3-11. Anyway, I took over leading singing time, and had some fun with it, and pulled through the best I could. Today I was back and the piano and glad to be there. At the beginning of the meeting today, one of the 10 year old girls came up and handed me a card. She had written it herself. It said: "You make music very fun, you're the best music teacher, Love, Sydney". Wow! How cool is that? It makes me feel good that I could have an impact on the kids, even if I am not as bubbly and outgoing as their usual music leader. Sydney totally made my day today.

No comments: