June 11, 2008

Big Boy Beefy!

So today Beefy came up to me while I was folding laundry, and started pulling down his pants and saying, "potty, potty". I figured I would humor him and sit him on the potty. I put him on and he told me to leave the room, so I went back to my folding, checking on him every couple of minutes. After 5 or 6 minutes of this I went and asked him if he was done and he said "yes" and hopped off. I looked to humor him, not expecting him to have "produced" but lo and behold - he had pooped. I was so proud of him. This may not seem like a big accomplishment to some people, but in my world it is huge. Buggy wouldn't even think of going near a potty until he was 3 1/2, and Beefy is just barely 2. Also pooping was a very hard learned task with Buggy. (Alas, Buggy's potty training is a story for another day) Anyway, I was getting all excited thinking of how responsible Beefy was becoming, and having visions of grandeur of a child who potty trains himself at only 2 years old. I even tried to take a picture so we could remember the moment. All I got was a picture of him washing his hands though.

Buggy was more than happy to pose by the toilet for me.

Well, as I said, I was thinking that Beefy was growing up so fast and becoming such a big boy, when a little while later I walked into the TV room and saw this.

Yes, that is oatmeal spread all over my carpet. Somehow Beefy had sneaked into the kitchen when I wasn't looking and made his way back to the playroom with the big bucket of Quaker oatmeal. Buggy made a point to inform me that Beefy did it all by himself and that he (Buggy) did not help him. (I think that was mostly an attempt to avoid the wrath of Mom) So, that is how I got my reality check that 2 year-olds, however much potential they show, are still 2 year-olds, and that 2 year-olds like to dump things.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I have a blog story that I haven't had time to write yet, but it is similar to your oatmeal fiasco. You're not alone! :o)