I've been struggling lately with feelings of inadequacy and failure; as a parent, a wife, a friend, in my church calling, and just as a person in general.
As if that weren't enough, I've had it compounded with the fear that I'm being judged by my inadequacies (and failures)-and definitely don't measure up.
In an effort to get over myself and move on (I am acutely aware that I need to - even though it is difficult), I have re-focused my efforts on improved prayer, and scripture study. It's helping, and I feel like I am slowly but surely making a little bit of progress.
So, with that being said-I have to ask...Does anybody else deal with these feelings, or am I (as I fear) alone in this-and maybe, really just a little bit crazy after all?
10 comments:
You are not alone! I feel like that a lot too! I find myself stressing about how I am unable to effectively juggle all the things I want and need to accomplish. I often feel like a disorganized mess.
It doesn't help when I see people that I perceive to be "super mom" doing all the things that I would like to do either! I know that everyone has their own challenges, but I can't help but wonder, "How do they do all that? They make it seem so effortless, what is wrong with me?"
Rest assured, you are NOT crazy! I think it's normal for us to see the strengths in others and compare them to our inadequacies.
Keep up with the prayer and scripture study. Remember that Heavenly Father loves you, even if you don't plan weekly field trips for your kids, homeschool them, have homemade dinners on time every night in a sparkling clean house, and rock your calling with absolute perfection! He loves you whether you do all those things or not!
It's hard to live up to our own expectations! I think every mom wants to be a super mom (I'll admit it, I'd love to be a super mom). It's okay to want to be better, but I think you're right about trying not to beat yourself up over it!
I hope that helps... :)
Of course you aren't alone! I feel that way all the time. I just try really hard to remember that those feelings don't come from Heavenly Father and that He loves me and will magnify my efforts so that they are enough.
I personally think you are totally awesome by the way!
You are soooooo not the only one! I just try not to have too high of expectations for each day, if I get one thing done I try to be happy. And I've learned not to compare my kids with anyone else's... Colt's reading level isn't as high as some in his class but since he's steadily improving I don't let it bother me. My patience is usually shot by bedtime and I feel so bad when I put the kids to bed while having a short temper but we need to be real and give ourselves a break. This Mom thing can be tiring, underappreciated, and monotonous! Hang in there.....
You are so not alone! I struggle with this all the time! I think what you are doing to get out of it is right on, it's how I tend to get out of my "ruts" all the time. You're awsome, hang in there!
You're not alone. I feel that way all the time. I hope things start looking up soon.
yes, you are alone kim!! are you kidding me. ditto to all the other comments. Sometimes I get depressed after reading some of my friends blogs...... they appear to be perfect and make me feel way inadequate!!!
by the way, I wanted to chat with you at the park last week, just didn't want to interrupt you with your friends and then you were gone when I got back from picking up Grace!
I'm there with you. you are amazing and I hope all will be well with you soon.
I understand those feelings too. In fact, you are one of the moms I compare myself to, and I fall short. You are awesome and your family loves you!
I'm pretty sure every woman on the planet goes through these feelings--even the ones we're sure have everything together--except for maybe that one mom in my ward who always seems calm, perfect, and friendly:) Just kidding. Kind of.
Yes, we all have these horrible feelings of inadequacy. They are annoying as all get out and I wish none of us had to go through them.
I am constantly feeling like a terrible mom and wife. My calling isn't that difficult (enrichment committee), but when it was more involved I had fears with it, too.
In my head I'm working on a post about the Donna Reed Complex. I need to start writing and get it out. I have a serious love/hate relationship with that woman.
I know the prayer and scripture study will help, just don't be surprised when Satan throws you a curve ball and you feel like you have to start all over again. That's when you know you made progress and got Satan scared. That's when you can celebrate with ice cream:)
Post a Comment