October 11, 2010

Today - I Feel Like I've Been Hit by a Truck...

...Because I have.

So really this story starts, as usual, with us running late on Sunday morning. Seriously - we have 1:00 church, and yet we still manage to be rushing out the door each week. Anyway - I had the house mostly ready for a showing that was happening after church, but then the kids ate lunch (ie: made a big mess) and I left it for when we got home.

Well, then of course, I get a voicemail halfway through the meetings, and when I check it - it's someone else who wants to see the house, before we were going to get home. So, I decided I would run home really quick during Sunday School, pick up the big mess, and be back before I was even missed.

Moral of the story: Don't skip church. Just let them see your house messy.


As I was heading back to the church, I was stopped at a stop sign when a kid in an old beater truck tried to come around the corner going too fast. He lost control, didn't turn and crashed into me instead.

I'm okay, the teenagers in the truck are okay, that is what matters.

Thankfully, my neighbor (who is also my friend, and happens to be my insurance agent, and goes to church with me) was headed home to pick up something she had forgotten and saw me shortly after the accident happened. She got me back to the church with my car seats to pick up my family.

Thankfully, I was only really a block from home, and didn't have to drive my crunched car very far.

Thankfully, my chiropractor is also in my bishopric and told me to come in first thing in the morning, and to call him if I needed him sooner.

Thankfully, we have really good friends who had already offered to feed us dinner, and who conveniently had two cars at church.

Thankfully, I have zero fault in this accident, and the other driver's insurance will pay for absolutely everything.

Thankfully, I was alone - no kids in the car (a rarity) and I was in my big car, not my husband's little tin can with wheels.

Thankfully, even in a bad situation, I was being watched out for. And I am safe.


I am pretty sore today. I hit my head on the side window at the impact. I went in this morning for some x rays. My neck is pretty messed up, but otherwise nothing too serious. I feel lucky.

My car...is not so lucky. It looks pretty sad. The collision messed up the whole front end, so the driver's side door only opens a little, and the passengers side door (although there isn't much damage over there) won't open at all. The driver's side quarter panel is smashed, and my bumper and grill cover are hanging on by a thread only. The hood has been totally displaced, and the quarter panel on the passengers side has subsequently found a new place to live. Not at all a happy situation.




The insurance company should be coming out to look at it tomorrow. Meanwhile, I have a rental minivan. They tried to give me a sedan, but I put up a stink (have you ever tried to get three car seats in the back of a sedan? Not very easy). Anyway, it isn't even really a cool van, and it didn't take me very long to remember why I love my SUV. It just drives differently.

It's only been a day and I miss it already.

All in all, I'm glad everything is okay. My car should be fixed soon, and I have something to haul the family around in until then. Even if I do feel like a dork in it. I will be seeing the chiropractor quite a bit for the next little while, but the personal injury insurance covers massage (something my regular health insurance doesn't) so there is a small silver lining in all of these storm clouds.

And just for a touch of sheer irony... Somebody stopped by last minute to see the house today - and yeah, it was totally messy.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Totally lame! I'm so sorry! It is so frustrating and I hope you get everything worked out really soon.

Rose said...

Oh NO! I am so glad you are okay though! I hope things look up for you soon with the house too!

Leanne said...

that's no good. I hope things get better for you!

Holly said...

I'm glad you're ok! Yay for silver lining free massages!!

Stacey said...

Sorry to hear about the house (and car). I know how much pride you took in your cute home. The positive thing is it should show well because your a great designer! We weren't forced to sell our house, but we're still renting so I know how it feels to go from being a homeowner to white walls and old carpet again. Good luck with the sale.

btw, I made a black and white tutu today using your tutorial. My little girl is going to be the cutest witch in the world this Halloween!

Heidi said...

When it rains it pours, I guess. Sorry about the accident, but glad everyone is okay. I hope you get your comfy car back. That's a good sign people are looking at your house!

Steph said...

Glad you're okay!