February 19, 2009

Thoughts on Parenting

Does anyone ever have one of those moments where you suddenly get overwhelmed by insecurity about your inadequacies as a parent? I mean really, here I'll be-going along-thinking I'm doing okay and that I might have finally figured out something with this whole raising kids thing. Then, something happens that metaphorically hits me in the face and makes me think, "Gee, why did God give me these children to raise when there are obviously so many (much more) capable people all around me?"

This used to be a very common occurrence for me. When Buggy was little, I was terrible at comparing myself to others around me, and beating myself up over the fact that the way those other people did things didn't always work for our family. It has taken me some time to realize that I have a VERY different parenting style than most other people. I like to think that some of those many early childhood classes I took while in college actually paid off, and helped me to be able to recognize what works for my kids.

I don't think that I'm that far out there. In my opinion I have a very balanced view of relaxed and disciplined parenting. For some reason though, it seems to not mesh with what a lot of other parents in my situation do. We've/I've had a harder time finding friends because of this, and just when I think that I have accepted this, and I am okay with the way things are, I have one of the aforementioned "slap in the face" moments. I had one of those today.

I know that I just need to accept things for what they are, and realize that as long as I am trying my best to do a good job, then that needs to be good enough. Sometimes it's hard though. Inadequacy is one of those things I've dealt with for right around 26 years now. I guess what I am wondering is - is it just me? Or, is this one of those things everyone feels, but thinks they are the only ones that must feel this way. Kind of a kick back to high school. Any way, thanks for letting me ramble. Until next time...

6 comments:

Steph said...

No, it's not just you. But maybe it's just you and me? (Just kidding). If you're worried about how your kids will turn out, you're miles ahead of a lot of other parents out there.
I'll be your friend! lol

Kellie said...

Oh boy. If I had a dollar for every time I had one of those slap in the face moments, we'd be living in a nice house and have our own movie theater. Uh, yeah. Like every day some times and other times the slap is so hard I think I go unconscious and refuse to wake up for a few days. I'm really, really bad with this. You are most definitely not alone

Leanne said...

oh dude. I feel that way all the time. especially when I'm running on NO SLEEP!!! (lately)

I think the best we can do is to take care of ourselves and our kids to the best of our abilities and pray. pray that it will be enough!

Lindsey said...

Do not worry about it! You are one of the most calm, patient and loving parents I know. I know I haven't seen you in a while, but I totally know it's true! I think the most important thing we do is love, love, love our kids. Then whatever mistakes we make don't matter so much because our kids know that every decision we made was out of love for them. Plus you're just awesome, go eat a brownie!

The 4 Willows said...

Oh, Kim, THANK YOU! for posting this! I totally feel the same way. I'm sure you're the best mom. I have those 'slap in the face' moments all the time. Thank you for your thoughts.

Chari said...

Kim,
Don't kill me but I tagged you! Also, what happened yesterday? Was it the meeting? Talk to me babe!
Chari