After 2 days of monitoring, instead of sending me home on bed rest, my doctor decided I just needed to not be pregnant anymore. Labor was induced and after 24 hours of nothing and blood pressures running in the 180/110 range I was whisked off for an emergency C-section. Buggy was born on July 10, 2004 at 34wks 1day. He weighed in at 5lbs 9oz (really good for a preemie) and was 17 inches long. He came out screaming and even peed on the pediatrician a couple of times while they were cleaning him off. He was breathing on his own and all looked to be going well.
My husband followed him off to the NICU while I was recovering. Once there things took a bit of a down turn. They tried to feed him, just to see if he could do it - definitely couldn't. The feeding created lots of stress which in turn caused his O2 levels to drop, putting him on the oxygen tank that would become a regular fixture for him over the next month and a half. They also started an IV (a very sad sight on such a little baby) a heart monitor (precautionary), feeding tube, and he was put under lights for jaundice. The IV only lasted the first day, and he was away from the lights by day 4.
I was under strict 24hour bed rest after the delivery and therefore didn't get to see him until he was almost 10 hours old (I had a nice nurse who helped me sneak out to see him for a few minutes). What a hard thing to go through, me being stuck in my room, and him so far away from me. And it wasn't as though I could just get up and go see him. I had to be wheeled everywhere for the first couple of days after his birth.
I was able to go home 4 days later (a very bittersweet moment), after a week in the hospital. But Buggy had to stay. We had lots of adventures in the NICU (stories for another day perhaps) and got to be pros at being "preemie parents" after his 2 1/2 week stay there. 17 days after his birth Buggy finally got to come home. We brought an oxygen tank home with us, but left the feeding tube and heart monitor behind. (hurray!) We were able to ditch the oxygen about a month after he got home, and from then on he took off.
We were told to expect some delays in his development due to his birth circumstances, but we haven't noticed any (unless you can call stubbornness a developmental delay). He is a smart kid who is doing fabulous. He lights up the room, and is full of energy and smiles. He gives the best hugs and is a very loving child, and I know my world is better because of him. I love you Buggy. Happy Birthday.



2 comments:
And I was due on August 10th with Reuben and was so mad that everyone had their babies before me who were due AFTER me! (but I know you probably would have rather waited...) I love the learning to eat picture. what a cute boy!
He really does have an amazing story, and is an amazing boy! Happy Birthday Buggy! :)
Post a Comment